Saturday, January 13, 2007

Government Approved!

The I-171H (Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Application) has arrived! Our fingerprints came back clear! This means that we can take the I-171H (and certify it by an attorney --which cannot be Martine, of course) and add it to the huge pile of other documents (our "Dossier") and send it to D.C. to be translated and then sent to Vietnam.

Our agency has the rest of our dossier, and the two agency employees that have worked with us are currently in Vietnam. So, we are thinking we may need to wait until mid-week, when one of them is back to get things sent off.

The other interesting thing about the I-171H is that it will expire if you do not file the I-600 (which is the Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative) within 18 months. That means that if, in 18 months, a specific child has not been identified on an I-600 submitted to the CIS, then we will need to reapply for a new I-171H (of course, we are hoping that it will not take nearly as long as 18 months!)

Another interesting point is that the fingerprints expire in 15 months (which is actually good, because if our fingerprints had returned as IDENT, which means there is an FBI record on file, the fingerprints would only be valid 12 months). So, if we do not get through the process before 4/02/08, we will need to re-fingerprint.

Anyway, we hope to finally be done with our Dossier very soon. (It has been about 4 months of paper chasing!! - see the timeline to the right)

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Congrats to you both. Glad to see the last of the paper chase is done. Of course, all you have to do now is sit back and wait -- the easy part, right? :)
Anyway -- glad to hear that you are both upstanding citizens of our country.